Saturday, November 13, 2010

I can't believe that in three weeks time I'll be home again. After nearly a whole year of living in London, I am finally going home for Christmas. As much as I have enjoyed being over here, I'm definitely ready to go home... even if it's only for a short while.

But I'm still squeezing in as much as I can before I go home. Like today, for example.

About 785 years ago, when a new mayor was elected, it was a tradition for the Mayor to prove himself to the people and swear loyalty to the Crown. The mayors would walk upriver from the City to Westminster to pledge allegience. This year it was Lord Mayor Boris' turn. Traditions and futures are celebrated with a parade showcasing the past, present and future businesses, charities, Her Majesty's Forces, City Police and more, along with a firework display in the evening . I have been to a few of London's 'festivals/parades' and I have to say that I'm not impressed. It lacks... entertainment. Big floats pass by extremely slowly, the rare few being somewhat creative, people dancing to random music while following the floats, crowds of people giving the wrong impression that something exciting is happening and therefore attacting more crowds and blocking people's way. But somehow, everytime there's a parade on, I have a little bit of hope that it won't be like the last. And everytime I go to one, I'm disappointed. And yes, this one was no different.


One of the creative floats, a big book with the world coming out of it.


Can you spot Australia? :)

One of the marching bands.


Guess who's back after her 2 month trip around Europe? :)

My artistic shot :)


As you walk around London now, you can't not get into the Christmas spirit with Christmas lights and decorations up everywhere!

Trees decorated with blue and white lights. Magical :)

Even the cupcakes are lit up!

Covent Garden decorations

A big office building in blue :) My kind of building :)

A store's Christmas display window.

Giant Christmas tree in Covent Garden. But this was a special tree because the lights would only turn on when a couple stood under the giant mistletoe and pulled it while kissing :)

London nights (and days) are getting very very cold so what better way to spend it at a cute little cafe, drinking warm coffees, eating cake and having a girly catch up :)

Passionfruit and coconut cake & Chocolate Square (like a chocolate tart)

Just like in Max Brenner, the drinks were served in a 'hug mug' :)

And you know London's getting cold when...

...they rug their cold drinks up with a beanie while in the fridge :P

How cute are they?!

No comments: