Sunday, January 2, 2011

Just a Spoonful of Sugar please :)

One thing I love about London is that I can go to the theatre and watch a musical just like I was going to the cinema to watch a movie back home. I didn't realise, until just recently, how many musicals I've actually seen while in London.

Mary Poppins has been, and still is, playing Melbourne and when it first came out, I kept reading facebook comments about how fantastic it was. I was sad that it had been and gone in London. But luckily enough, my lovely brother bought tickets for my mum and I to go and watch it while I was back in Melbourne.

I'd have to say, it wasn't as spectualar as I expected. I think I had high expectations because of friends and family telling me how great it was. It was good... but not the best I've seen. When I told both my brothers this, they were shocked as they loved it! I think for me, musicals have to include a lot of dancing and singing... and awesome stage props as well. Mary Poppins didnt deliver on the dancing which is partly why I was disappointed. The stage props were good but again, not great. It could have also been due to the fact that mum and I didn't have good seats. It was more towards the sides and quite high up.

I know when a musical is really good when I'm literally on the edge of my seat and wanting to join in! Mary Poppins just didn't do that for me :( Overall I enjoyed it, especially the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious song and dance, but I wouldn't be in a rush to see it again.

No comments: