Monday, August 9, 2010

Edinburgh Fringe Festival

I went back to Edinburgh for a second time to check out the famous and very popular Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Before I headed to the Royal Mile where all the action was, I decided to check out the National Museum of Scotland.


Was interesting to learn about Scotland's history but it wasn't any different to any of the other museums I had seen in London. To be honest, I'm kinda museumed-out! The UK has too much history for my brain to process and remember!

So off to the festival I went where the real excitement was! And it was definitely buzzing! Edinburgh Fringe Festival is the biggest arts festival in the world. It goes for 3 weeks, always in August, and hosts thousands of performances for you to watch. They have a booklet of all the shows with the summary, times and dates for each one. The booklet was as thick as the size of your local yellow pages! So if you're planning to attend the festival next year, make sure you plan before you go. I found out the hard way that there are way too many performances for you to look through if you have no idea who you want to see or when the performance is on. Before you go, make a list of who you would like to see, what time and date it is and whether you need to purchase a ticket. Some performances are free but the more well known and famous acts are usually 5-10 pounds.



As you walked down the Royal Mile, not only was it full of tourists and locals but also a lot of university students promoting their performance. If you do end up like I did and go to the festival without a clue of who to watch, a good way is just to collect as many flyers been handed out by these students and watch one that takes your fancy. The fun side of that is you can get some strange but funny students approaching you and talking to you about their show in character. The not so good side of it is you don't know how good the show is but I guess that's part of the excitement - the unknown and unexpected :)


Promoting 'The Railway Children'.



Sometimes there would promote to each other!


And if you somewhere bypass all the promoters as you walk down the street (highly unlikely), you can always refer to the poles covered in flyers or...



... take one from this wall! :)
I'd like to know how much paper they use/waste over the duration of the festival!

I managed to squeeze in one show while I was there. It was free as it was an amature stand up comedian. The show was called 'Mr. Famous' performed by Mike Newall. His show was based around his life. Some parts were funny, some were not. But I could imagine how hard it must be starting out as a stand up comedian. There was one guy in the audience, who I think had too much to drink, and basically laughed at everything in a really annoying way. At first it was funny but then I think it got slightly distracting for Mike. Oh well, I'm sure it's not the first annoying audience member he's had!



One of the things I loved about Edinburgh was how green their parks are. On my way back to the train station, I pass Princes Street Park which is absolutely beautiful! Unfortunately I didn't take many good photos as it was very cloudy and glary.



The oldest flower clock in the world :) Every spring it gets replanted into a new design.



The currect design was to celebrate the centenary anniversary of the Girl Guides.




Half decent shot of the park.



View of Endinburgh Castle from the park.

No comments: