Monday, August 9, 2010

Edinburgh - The Royal Mile

My very first view of Edinburgh and I fell in love... :)
Ok, so its not the best photo but trust me, Edinburgh is a beautiful place!


The magnificent Assembly Hall - photo doesn't do it justice.

Cute housing: in a back street on the way to the Royal Mile.


Ta da! :)


I unexpectedly found a free tour guide of the Royal Mile which was very interesting and informative! Travelling by myself had its advantages but it got lonely and boring at times. I was always excited when I found a tour group activity and experienced things with other people.
I was glad I stumbled across this tour as it made me realise how many pieces of Scotland's history is hidden amongst the city and you would have to be a local to know where to look or understand its significance.

This flower pot was there to mark the area where witches were burned at the stake.


Took a picture of this cute old man dressed up in traditional Scottish attire.

The Royal Mile had many alleyways, side streets and closes that lead you to residential areas or squares that used to be used in the past by royals.

The guide took us to the writer's museum where it celebrates the lives of three famous Scottish writers, including the famous Robert Burns who lived in the building opposite.
On the pavement were different quotes from famous writers. I particularly liked this one:
"Go back far enough
and all humankind
are cousins."
-Naomi Mitchison-



This photo was to show you how in the past they would have their staircase outside the house because it was a lot cheaper and easier to build rather than inside like we have now.



A little plaque on a wall along the Royal Mile.




St Giles Cathedral.


This was an interesting statue. The guide told us it was meant to be Oliver Cromwell but it took too long to complete and by the time they were nearly finished, Cromwell was out of power. So they changed it to Charles II (though it apparently looks nothing like him!) The horse is also known as the 'ghost of the peeing horse'. Apparently when it rains, water collects in the statue and at the bottom of the horse there's a hole where the water drains which makes him look like he's peeing :)


The City Chambers


Another piece of Scotland:
On the wall of the entrance to a resturant, this was formerly the shop of James Cillspie.


The World's End pub is significant for marking the furthest point of the old outer city wall. The Scots built this wall when they were defenceless to the English after losing many men in battle. Inside you can still see parts of the original wall.


I don't know what this building was for but I just loved the medieval look.


If you looked closer, you can see the white specks randomly added to the stone walls. The white specks are actually seashells that locals believed would protected them from witches and evil spirits.


Can't remembered who lived here but how unusual is the layout of the house?


Walking back up after the tour, I came across this tearoom which reminded me of Miss Marple's in Mt Dandy back home. I had to try it :)


It had the same atmosphere but I think I came late and most of the food on the menu had finished. I ended up just having a cream tea but the scones weren't that great.



After walking a mile (get it? Royal MILE :P), you ended up at the Palace of Holyrood.


I didn't go in but stood at the gate where so many other cheapskates stand to take a photo of it :)


When I go back to Edinburgh, I will bring along good walking shoes so I can climb to the peak of Arthur's Seat in Holyrood park :) Apparently it takes 1-2 hours to get there but I heard the views of Edinburgh from there are amazing!

No comments: