Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Scottish Tour

I booked a tour with Highland Experience Tours. The tour took you around the Highlands, including Glen Coe, Loch Ness and Loch Lomond. The tour commenced at 8am and ended at 7:30pm.


Our transportation for the day.


Bob (yes, that really was his name), our tour guide.




First stop was a little town called Pitlochry. It was a quaint area where a lot of tourist stay to visit the Highlands.


When I retired to Cotswolds, I want my house to look like this :)

Fort Augustus:
in between Fort William and Inverness and on the shores of Loch Ness!


A boat cruise around Loch Ness was optional and seeing as I wouldn't be coming back here again for a while, I decided to go on it for 10 pounds (and in the hope I would see Nessie - the Loch Ness monster! :))





They say the grey patches of gravel on the sides of the mountains, is where Nessie has tried to climb up...



...but obviously slides back down.
It had been a good 20mins and I still hadn't seen anything moving in the water... but then suddenly...

What's that in the water?!



Look!

It's Nessie! :) Really!
The 10 pounds was worth it after all!


Throughout the journey, we were surrounded by the magnificent mountains, deep sea lochs and beautiful greenery. I couldn't get over how green everything was!


On our way back to Glasgow, we stopped at this momorial site.



It also had a great view of the highlands and a map showing the names and directions of each mountain. The most famous being Ben Nevis: the highest mountain in the British Isles.





Unfortunately we couldn't see the peak (or 'bein' if you're a glaswegian) of the mountain due to the clouds.

The mountain is so famous it even has its own whisky named after it!


We got a better view of Ben Nevis (on the right) as the clouds drifted but still no sign of the peak.


Our last stop was Loch Lomond: it has the largest surface area of fresh water in Britain. If you took all the water from the lakes in England and Wales, it would still not be enough to fill it. It is also famous for its picturesques views!



I envy the people who live near Loch Lomond for not only do they get an amazing view everyday but also get to live in these quaint cottages!


Bob was a great tour guide and gave us interesting facts about Scotland along the way. I learnt about William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, the Jacobites and so many more that I can't remember. At the beginning, I listened intently but as the day went on, my brain was overloaded with information that I have decided the UK has too much history to learn about! I can't retain so much information! :P

No comments: