Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Damcycle

If you visit Amsterdam, the best way to travel is by bike. It's not only cheap, great way to exercise and a fast way to get around, it's also lots of fun! :) It makes you feel like one of the locals.

On the Saturday, we tried to hire bikes but apparently all the major bike rental places were all booked out! :O


Holland - famous for...

Clogs - do my feet look big in these? :P




We met up with Daniel and Lydia for brunch at a place called Bagels and Beans. Recommended by Daniel as he and my brother came here when they were in Europe 5 years ago.

Kum's salmon bagel.


Off to the Heineken Experience. I went into the building with no interest in beer (Heineken or not) but developed a new attitude after learning so much about Heineken. The experience goes through the history of Heineken -
how the beer got it's name, the founders, developing the logo.

I learnt how to drink it properly (you shouldn't sip beer, you gulp it) and what was in it...
water, barley, hops and yeast and...


...the process of how it is made.


I actually don't mind Heineken beer now. So for those who were like me and don't really enjoy even the thought of beer, I assure you that this experience will change your mind. :) Who knows, you may just find a new love for beer :)



Another famous attraction in Amsterdam is, of course, Anne Frank's house.


Look at the line! Took about 45mins to get to the front of the line.


It takes you on a journey through the eyes and thoughts of the little Jewish girl, Anne, who was trying to escape from the Nazis. You travel through the actual house of where her and her family hid, with quotes from Anne's diary, models of what the house may have looked like and videos of people who share their experiences. It was hard to believe that she was only 13 when she wrote the diary.

When I asked Audrey what there was to do in Amsterdam, the first thing she said was 'I remember eating a lot of frites (hot chips).' At first I wasn't quite sure what she meant but when you see a frite shop you understand why. They are shops that just sell hot chips with a variety of sauces to put on top. Simple yet so popular! And very moorish! Why is it that the foods that are so unhealthy for you, taste so good?! :P


We had to catch our flight but not before stopping off for some frites! :)

Look at all those frites!


I loved my time in Amsterdam and will definitely go back. There are still so many attractions to see and lots of food to eat! So, who's coming with me?


The famous 'I amsterdam'.
If I could, I would change it to 'I heart Amsterdam' :)

No comments: